One of the downsides to shopping at Walgreens with coupons is their lack of a Corporate Coupon Policy posted on their site. As a result, there ends up being a lot of confusion and sometimes frustrating shopping experiences. It would really be great if Walgreens could post a Coupon Policy like most stores such as Target and Walmart have. I think it will work out a lot better in the long run for both Walgreens and their customers.
In the meantime, Common Sense with Money has a great post with some invaluable information! She has a response from an email to Walgreens Customer Service about their coupon policies. She’s even converted it into a Google doc so you can print your own copy and take it with you, so be sure to check it out. Here’s the gist of the email:
Can a customer use both a Manufacturer’s coupon and Walgreens coupon for the same item in a purchase?
- One Walgreen and one manufacturer coupon can be used for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits such use.
- Walgreens Roto Ad Coupons, Instant Value Coupons (IVC), and a manufacturer’s coupon can be used towards the purchase of any one item. “One coupon per purchase” means one coupon must be tendered for each PIECE sold.
What happens if the Manufacturer coupon’s value is more than the retail value?
- Walgreens does not provide cash back if a coupon is presented for more than the purchase value of the item (e.g., the customer is using the coupon to purchase a clearance item).
If the retail of the item is less than the face value of the coupon:
- The coupon value shall be the retail value if the state requires taxes to be paid on that item
- The coupon value shall be the retail value plus taxes if the state does not require taxes to be paid on the item.
Can a customer use a coupon after a sale has been made?
- All valid coupons must be presented to the cashier at the time of sale only!
If there is no quantity limit on a Walgreens coupon can a manager impose his/her own limit?
- Yes, managers have the right to limit the quantities of all advertised items.
Does Walgreens price match or accept coupons from other retailers?
- Walgreens does not price match with other retailer.
- Walgreens does not accept coupons from other retailers or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- Walgreens does not accept expired coupons.
A customer purchased an item using a manufacturer’s coupon and wants to return it. At what price do we return the item?
- If an item purchased with a manufacturer’s coupon is returned, the customer will get the retail price of the item. If the customer purchased an item with a Walgreens coupon, the customer receives the price paid.